Picket Fences

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Desi Mind and Bikini Bottoms

Desi mind and Bikini bottoms…

I stretched on the green lawn and yawned distinctly at the blue skies…the paperback in my hand was just an excuse...my eyes were roving in all direction as well as my mind…it was a Sunday in Central park…I had trekked all the way to Manhattan just to lay back and watch the green green grass and escape the humdrum and concrete structure, dirt and smoke in the city…the pond in front of me was full of moss…few ducks in the water waded with difficulty choking on weeds…soft sunlight fell on hundreds of heavenly bodies stretched out to the divine rays from above..


Coming to the world of Gori and Goras ... lying in different angles in different shapes and sizes - They came fully clothed and got on to the grass stripped up to their bikinis and rolled in the grass…would a desi ever be able to do that? Of course desi lasses with two kids …mostly resembled our “mothers”.... as if that’s the only label left on them ...Tiered tattered and sagging from all point of view…not that the men looked otherwise…and where would they have time to strip? If at all they did, it would only be in the bathtub!
Alas…. I did not see any Desi lass or moustache men…or their little chinnu munnu in a stroller and a candy bar in hand.... It’s very de-ja- vu.... for some of us who are born in India...It’s easy to carry children on our tight waist or shoulder...a carriage with all it’s nuances lacks the convenience of a waist, at some point I had almost forsaken stroller for it was so cumbersome to maneuver on the steps and streets of New York.


I deeply got engrossed in a round bottomed beautiful leggy woman who laconically sat with a straw hat and strappy slipper...he kissed her softly as she looked in to the space for those moving directions of the clouds…her golden hair shining and shimmering yet supple to his touch…I wondered whether the guy got an erection coz he almost stuck his face in to her boobs which …transcend in its beauty.

Have I seen an American born Desi dude and Dudette neck with such obsession on such an open grassy ground…na… even if they are to be born in a million years they would not...I vouch for it…the freedom to make love in open spaces comes only by birth…and we do not have it in our culture …

Some ...women came with dogs…some men with women…women came with women…men with men some paled with a sunburn some tanned brown. Well-kept…moisturized and bleached bodies and bottoms in bikinis were frightfully disturbing to a desi mind…



It was a sane observation…I enjoyed the spirit of freedom and nonchalant attitude...I would have so got carried away and stripped myself If I had gone in bikini…
Like all desi dudettes in their middle years I was neither opaque nor transparent to the eyes...hence …I invaded others privacy with my peeps and made myself less conspicuous time and again while shifting my paperback to and fro…
Kids were else were climbing the rocks and mountains …it was as if their childhood had returned in all it’s buoyancy…

Sun was setting in the sky moon was limping back to the vision...ducks were chiding each other for food...they were pecking at the beer cans and soda bottles...littered around the pond…every one around me men and women had put on their clothes and getting back to their lives...some had slept like babies in the cool breeze, their worries must have stolen by fairies…

It was getting dark and stars would beckon them sooner or later…

When I had got to the last pages of my book...I packed my things...winked at some old men...waved at women...and walked past those peaceful ducks who were by now settled in various nooks of the park…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home